Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/ANN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ANNE, LIMEHOUSE: COMMERCIAL ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.41 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Anne, Limehouse | Church of England
In 1711 the "Act for the building of Fifty New Churches in the Cities of London and Westminster or the Suburbs thereof" was passed, to be paid for by a tax levied on coal entering the City of London. Only 12 churches were built, one of which was Saint Anne's Limehouse, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The church was constructed between 1712 and 1724, and consecrated in 1730.
The church became an international landmark. It was the first major building seen by ships as they proceeded up the Thames to the Port of London. It also has the highest church clock in London. Its design has been likened to the spread of sails on a square-rigged ship. It was badly damaged by fire in 1850 and it took 6 years to raise the money needed for restoration. Architects John Morris and Philip Hardwick did the work for £13,000. By the 1970s the church was in very poor repair, but by 1981 has been the subject of a major restoration.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Anne, Commercial Road, Limehouse, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; marriage licences; and papers of the social club.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in March 1983.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.