Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/BOT4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT BOTOLPH BISHOPSGATE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 94.6 linear metres (2095 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Botolph Bishopsgate, City of London | Church of England
The parish church of Saint Botolph Bishopsgate (also known as Saint Botolph without Bishopgate), on the west side of Bishopsgate in the City of London, is recorded from at least the early 13th century. Botolph was a 7th century Saxon Abbot and the patron saint of travellers, so his churches were usually situated at the city gates. The church was rebuilt in 1571-72, partly rebuilt in 1617 and entirely rebuilt between 1725-28. It was also restored following damage in World War Two. In 1869, the parish absorbed the District Chapelry of All Saints Skinner Street (P69/ALL) and in 1954 the parish church of All Hallows London Wall (P69/ALH5).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Botolph, Bishopsgate, City of London. The archive dates from the 16th century, with parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials) from 1558, churchwardens' accounts from 1567 and vestry minutes from 1616. Poor rate and tithe rate assessments are particularly well represented, with a number of extensive and comprehensive series spanning 1703-1946.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Most of the records of St Botolph Bishopsgate were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library after 1948, although a number of records had been transferred earlier. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009. A further deposit was received in 2010.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.