Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/LUK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LUKE, WEST NORWOOD: KNIGHT'S HILL, LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.23 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Luke, West Norwood | Church of England
The church of Saint Luke, West Norwood, was built by the Lambeth Church Building Committee working under the Church Building Commissioners, who had been established by an Act of 1818 to provide more churches, particularly in the expanding metropolis. The church was constructed between 1822 and 1825 to designs by Francis Bedford; although major alterations to the interior were carried out in 1870.
Information from: 'Norwood: Churches', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 173-180.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Luke, West Norwood, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, and banns; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; church services registers; rate books; papers relating to tithes; Churchwardens' financial accounts; and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1955, with further accessions in 1965.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.