Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, ISLINGTON: UPPER STREET, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 31.19 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Saint Mary, Islington | Church of England
Saint Mary's is the ancient parish church of Islington. This church served the whole parish until 1814 when a chapel of ease was constructed, followed over time by 40 more churches to serve a rapidly expanding population. It is first mentioned in documents in 1163. A church has existed on the site on Upper Street since at least the 12th century, although the present church dates to 1954 after the building of 1754 was bombed during the Second World War. The churchyard was closed for burials in 1853 and laid out as a public garden.
From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Upper Street, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; registers of preachers and church services; minutes of Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; Churchwardens' financial accounts and correspondence; statistics; papers relating to the construction and maintenance of the church buildings including plans and elevations, faculties and correspondence; legal documents relating to church property, such as deeds; parish magazines; papers relating to parochial charities and schools; and records of the Mutual Assurance Society and other parish societies.
Church rate books and papers relating to the collection of rates; minutes of various committees including the Trustees of the Parish and committees relating to highways and the workhouse; papers relating to civil functions of the parish, including the appointment of watchmen and constables, regulation of weights and measures, surveyor's papers, sanitation and medical care, workhouse and poor relief, apprentices, settlement examinations and removal orders.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the Vicar, 20 February 1958.
Records P83/MRY1/1163 - 1165 found in an LCC strong-room and transferred to the deposited records of the parish in the former London County Record Office, now the Greater London Record Office.
Records P83/MRY1/1166 - 1281 deposited by the Vicar on 27 February 1968.
Records P83/MRY1/1282 - 1296 transferred from the Records of Islington Board of Guardians in the Greater London Record Office, February 1971.
Records P83/MRY1/1297 deposited by H. B. Wedlake, Saint and Co., solicitors, in the Greater London Record Office, 29 October 1969.
Records P83/MRY1/420 - 1162 transferred from the records of the Islington Board of Guardians, 6 October 1954 and 28 June 1961.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.