Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/MRY4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, WANDSWORTH: IRON MILL PLACE, WANDSWORTH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.28 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wandsworth | Church of England
The foundation stone of the Church of Saint Mary the Virgin was laid on 8 July 1904. The church was quickly built and was consecrated on 4 March 1905. It was a chapel of ease to the Parish Church of Saint Anne, Wandsworth (P95/ANN).
It was not used for worship for very long. Bomb damage of 1944 necessitated extensive restoration so it was decided to turn the sanctuary and choir into a chapel, and the rest of the building into a hall. The church was closed and the congregation transferred to Saint Anne's Church. During 1950, however, Saint Mary's Church was used by the congregation of Saint Anne's Church while the latter church was being repaired after a devastating fire. The building was sold in 2000.
The Churches of Saint Mary the Virgin and of Saint Anne, Wandsworth are very closely connected in their history. Many references to Saint Mary's occur in the records of Saint Anne's Church, and it is worth checking both catalogues.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Iron Mill Place, Wandsworth, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; correspondence; inventory and plan of the church; administrative papers; and minutes of the Church Council and Annual Church Meeting.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Parish Records deposited in the Greater London Record Office, by the Vicar of St Anne's, Wandsworth, 22 September 1986 and 13 October 1987.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.