Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/JNE
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, UPPER HOLLOWAY: PEMBERTON GARDENS, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.35 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway | Church of England
Saint John's parish was the first district parish created in the parish of Islington. It was formed in 1830 and served a wide area until the establishment of 14 daughter churches. The Church was consecrated on 2 July 1828. It was designed by Charles Barry in the Perpendicular style. The site was donated by the Corporation for Orphans of Clergymen. It was united with Saint Peter's Church, Dartmouth Park Hill in 1978 to become the parish of Saint Peter with Saint John, Upper Holloway.
From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, and banns; registers of church services; curates' licences; papers relating to changes to parish boundaries; papers relating to the benefice; papers relating to church buildings including faculties and surveys; Churchwardens' financial accounts; annual reports; minutes and papers of the Church Council; papers relating to parish charities, the local school and church societies; and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the Vicar of St Peter with St John, Upper Holloway in the Greater London Record Office, 26 January 1981 and 31 July 1981.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.