Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MTN2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARTIN ORGAR: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.99 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Martin Orgar, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Saint Clement Eastcheap and Saint Martin Orgar:
The church of Saint Clement Eastcheap was first mentioned in the 11th century, Saint Martin Orgar in the 12th century. Saint Martin's was granted by Deacon Ordgar to the Canons of Saint Paul's Cathedral. Saint Clement's was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in 1686. Saint Martin Orgar was destroyed, apart from the tower, in the Great Fire and the two parishes were united in 1670, with worship taking place in Saint Clement's.
After the Great Fire, the tower of Saint Martin Orgar was restored by French Protestants who used it as a place of worship. It was taken down in 1820, and replaced, in 1852, by an Italiante tower, still extant, which was initially used as a rectory for Saint Clement Eastcheap, and subsequently as diocesan offices. Saint Clement Eastcheap was damaged by bombing in 1940 but was restored.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Martin Orgar, Martin Lane, City of London, including register of baptisms, marriages and burials; Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; poor rate books; and papers relating to parish charities.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records have been deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1901. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Saint Clement Eastcheap (P69/CLE).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.