Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/JN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN, HIGHBURY PARK: HIGHBURY PARK, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.47 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John, Highbury Park | Church of England
The first church of Saint John, Highbury Park was a temporary iron church erected by 1877. A permanent church was completed in 1881 and consecrated on 30 July 1881. A district was assigned to it out of the parish of Christ Church Islington.
The church was declared redundant on 1 January 1979 and the parish was united with Christ Church, Highbury Grove, which became known as Christ Church with Saint John; Christ Church being the parish church of the united parish.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John, Highbury Park, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; Church services register; minutes of Committee for Building a Permanent Church and other papers relating to the maintenance of the church buildings; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; parish magazines and newsletters; orders of service; curates' licences; correspondence; financial accounts; papers relating to the mission hall on Blackstock Road and the school room in Park Place.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records (P83/JN1/1-28) of St John, Highbury Park, Islington deposited by the Vicar of Christ Church, Highbury Grove, Islington in the Greater London Record Office, 13 June 1979. Additional parish records (P83/JN1/29-127) of St John, Highbury Park, Islington deposited by the vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 11 February 1980.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.