Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/EMM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EMMANUEL, MAIDA VALE: NORTHWICK TERRACE, WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.71 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Emmanuel, Maida Vale | Church of England
Emmanuel Church was built as a proprietary chapel, known as Christ Chapel, in 1833-1834 by Lieutenant Colonel the Honorable James Stewart and Frederick Madan. It was consecrated in 1876 as Emmanuel Church and became a separate parish. The church was damaged by bombing in 1940. Under the scheme for the parochial reorganisation of St Marylebone, confirmed in 1952, Emmanuel Church was closed and the parish was divided between Saint Paul, Lisson Grove (P89/PAU2), Saint Mark, Hamilton Terrace (P89/MRK2), and St John's Wood Church (P89/JN1).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Emmanuel, Northwick Terrace, Maida Vale, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; records of the Chapel Trustees; Parochial Church Council minutes and accounts; papers of the Infant School and Sunday School; and papers of the District Visiting Society.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records found in the derelict building and deposited in the London County Record Office, 28 November 1952. Additional parish records deposited by the Rector of Christ Church, Cosway Street, in Westminster City Libraries Archives Department, Marylebone Library, in 1971, and transferred to the Greater London Record Office, 18 April 1980 and additional records deposited by the Rector of Christ Church in the Greater London Record Office, 17 December 1981.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.