Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/ALS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ALL SOULS, LANGHAM PLACE: LANGHAM PLACE, REGENT STREET, WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 8.24 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Souls, Langham Place | Church of England
In 1822 to 1824 architect John Nash rebuilt the area around Regent's Park and Regent Street. He wished to continue Regent Street to the north but was unable to buy up the land and was forced to turn the street westwards. All Souls was constructed as a finishing feature standing at the end of Regent Street, where it turns into Portland Place. The church has an unusual design, combining a classical Greek style peristyle (porch with columns) and a Gothic spire. Nash was ridiculed for the idea by contemporaries. The church was damaged by bombing in the Second World War but was restored in 1957. The parish has been united with Saint Peter, Vere Street (P89/PET), Saint John the Evangelist, Fitzroy Square and others.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of All Souls, Langham Place, including registers of baptisms and marriages; preachers' books; financial accounts; plans, sketches and designs relating to changes to the church building; annual reports; parish magazines; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; orders of service; booklets; photographs; papers relating to the organ including music; papers relating to church social activities; and historical notes.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the Rector in the London County Record Office, 12 February 1964. Further records deposited by the Rector 11 March 1966 and 9 August 1983.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.