Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/MRY2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, SPITAL SQUARE: SPITAL SQUARE, NORTON FOLGATE, STEPNEY, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.77 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Spital Square | Church of England
In 1670 or 1680 the Reverend George Wheeler in 1670 or 1680 when he inherited the Wheeler estates and constructed a chapel to serve the people of Norton Folgate and the growing areas of Spitalfields and Mile End. The chapel was known as Sir George Wheeler's Chapel. It stood within the parish of Christ Church, Spitalfields (P93/CTC1). In 1845 the chapel became a parish church and was renamed Saint Mary Spital, after a medieval hospital which used to stand in this area. The parish was reunited with Christ Church in 1911.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Spital Square, Norton Folgate, Stepney, including registers of baptisms and marriages; faculties; preachers' books; church services registers; financial accounts; and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the Rector of Christ Church Spitalfields on 26 July 1956, 1 November 1956, 16 February 1972, 23 January 1981, 23 June 1981 and 27 July 1992.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.