Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/CTC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH, SAINT MARYLEBONE: COSWAY STREET, WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.67 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Marylebone | Church of England
Christ Church, Cosway Street was founded in 1825 as one of the four district rectories established by Act of Parliament within the parish of St Marylebone. St John's Wood Chapel (P89/JN1) which had been built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to Saint Marylebone parish church (P89/MRY1) became in 1898 a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Cosway Street, served by its own minister until the 1920s. The Rector of Christ Church, the Reverend T. G. Brierley Kay moved from Christ Church House into St John's House in 1932 and increasingly the parish appears to have been administered from St John's House. His successor, the Reverend O. H. Gibbs-Smith, appointed Rector of Christ Church in June 1941, was also in charge of the parishes of Saint Barnabas, Bell Street (P89/BAN) and Saint Stephen, Avenue Road, with Saint Andrew, Allitsen Road.
The scheme for the parochial reorganisation of Marylebone published in 1945 proposed that the parish of Christ Church should be united with Saint Barnabas, Bell Street while it would lose St John's Wood Chapel which was to become the new parish church of what was essentially the former parish of Saint Stephen, Avenue Road. Although this scheme was not legally implemented until 1952, it came into force defacto at the beginning of 1948 when, on the resignation of the Reverend O. H. Gibbs-Smith, separate incumbents were appointed for the parishes of Christ Church with Saint Barnabas, and Saint Stephen with Saint John. On 1 January 1948 the Christ Church balances were separated from the Saint John's balances and a new ledger was opened for Christ Church, while Saint Stephen's with Saint John continued to use the former Christ Church ledger.
The parish of Christ Church was united with Saint Paul, Rossmore Road (P89/PAU2) in 1971 to form the parish of Christ Church and Saint Paul, St Marylebone. Both churches became parish churches of the new parish until Christ Church was declared redundant in January 1977. The parish was united with Saint Mark with Saint Luke, Marylebone (P89/MRK1) in July 1978 and a team ministry was established. Saint Mark's Church is the parish church of the united parish which is known as the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Christ Church, Cosway Street, St Marylebone, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; church services registers; alms books; financial records; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to parish charities and the parish school; legal documents relating to parish properties.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Parish records deposited by the Rector in Westminster City Libraries Archives Department, Marylebone Library in 1971 and transferred to the Greater London Record Office 18 April 1980. Further records deposited 17 December 1981.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.