Reference code(s): GB 0074 P90/MTW
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MATTHEW, SAINT PANCRAS: OAKLEY SQUARE, CAMDEN
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.24 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthew, St Pancras | Church of England
Saint Matthew, Bedford New Town was one of the number of districts formed out of the parish of Saint Pancras in the mid 1840's to serve the ever-increasing population of the area. A contemporary newspaper even remarked that Saint Pancras was 'an immense suburban parish, the population of which is larger than that of most of the continental capitals'. Prior to the building of a permanent church services were held (commencing in June 1849) in a deserted pianoforte factory. The site for the church was given by the Duke of Bedford who subscribed £1000 to the building fund. The foundation stone was laid by Lord John Russell on 8 May 1852 and the church was consecrated on 23 December 1856. In 1956 the parish was united with the Old Saint Pancras church; and the building was later demolished.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Matthew, Oakley Square, St Pancras, including registers of baptisms, marriages and church services; historical notes, and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in the Greater London Record Office on 8 May 1989.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.