Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MRY11
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY MOUNTHAW: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary Mounthaw, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes:
The churches of Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe, Saint Ann Blackfriars, Saint Peter Paul's Wharf, Saint Benet Paul's Wharf, Saint Mary Mounthaw, Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey and Saint Nicholas Olave were all destroyed in the Great Fire of London, 1666.
Saint Ann Blackfriars was not rebuilt and the parish united to Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe in 1670. Similarly, Saint Peter Paul's Wharf was united to Saint Benet Paul's Wharf in 1670, and Saint Nicholas Olave was united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1670.
Saint Mary Mounthaw was originally a private chapel for the Montenhaut family. It was not rebuilt after the Great Fire and the parish was united to Saint Mary Somerset in 1670, and the united parish was united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1866.
Saint Benet Paul's Wharf was rebuilt by Wren, 1677-83 and the parish united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1879, when the church became the London church of the Welsh Episcopalians. Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey was rebuilt by Wren in 1677, gutted in 1941 and restored in 1962. The parish was united to Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe in 1954.
The church of Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe was rebuilt by Wren, but destroyed in 1940, except for the walls and tower. In 1955-61 it was rebuilt to Wren's original plans.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary Mounthaw, Fish Street Hill, City of London, including registers of baptisms, burials, marriages and banns; Vestry minute books; Overseers' books of receipts and payments; and poor rate assessment books.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
To assist the user the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of these parishes were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates from 1902. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also the records of the church of Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe, reference P69/AND1.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.