Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/JS1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JAMES, DUKE'S PLACE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Duke's Place, City of London | Church of England
Saint James, Duke's Place, was established in 1622. Unlike the parish jurisdictions of Saint Andrew Undershaft and Saint Katherine Cree, that of Saint James Duke's Place was unusual. In 1623 the parish church was consecrated on a site in Aldgate Ward in the City of London. This area, until the Reformation, had been part of the monastic precinct of Holy Trinity Aldgate, and had a semi-manorial leet jury (with powers of paving etc.) and thus claimed the status of "liberty", and a partial exemption from Aldgate Ward In the 17th and 18th centuries, Saint James Duke's Place also claimed an exemption from ecclesiastical jurisdiction and became infamous for "irregular" marriages, where couples could be married without licence, banns or parental consent. The site of Saint James Duke's Place is now occupied by the Sir John Cass School; the church was demolished in 1874.
The parish of Saint Andrew Undershaft was united with Saint Mary Axe in 1561. In 1954 the parish was united with the parishes of Saint Katherine Cree and Saint James Duke's Place, which had united in 1873. The churches of Saint Andrew Undershaft and Saint Katherine Cree still stand.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint James, Duke's Place, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to parish poor relief; minutes of the leet jury of the liberty of Saint James Duke's Place; poor rate assessment books; church rate assessment books; and assessment books for other rates.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
P69/JS1/A: Parish Registers; P69/JS1/B: Vestry, Parish and Liberty Officers; P69/JS1/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists; P69/JS1/D: Charities and Estates.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of the united parish have been acquired by Guildhall Library Manuscripts at various dates. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United under St Andrew Undershaft (P69/AND4).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.