Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MGT1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARGARET LOTHBURY: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.91 linear metres (619 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Margaret Lothbury, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Saint Margaret Lothbury, Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange, Saint Mildred Poultry, Saint Mary Colechurch, Saint Olave Jewry and Saint Christopher le Stocks.
The church of Saint Margaret Lothbury was first mentioned in the 12th century. It was destroyed in the Great Fire and was rebuilt in 1690. The parish of Saint Christopher le Stocks was united to Saint Margaret Lothbury on the demolition of the church in 1781. In 1839 Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange was added when its church was also demolished. The parishes of Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Mary Colechurch and Saint Olave Jewry, united to each other in 1670, and Saint Mildred Poultry (united to them in 1871) were added in 1886.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Saint Margaret Lothbury, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, burials and preachers; Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; administrative papers; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; papers relating to parish poor relief; poor rate assessment books and church rate assessment books; and deeds and other documents relating to parish properties.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English and Latin.
System of arrangement:
To assist the user, the catalogue has been arrranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of St Margaret Lothbury and the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 2006. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Parish united with: St Bartholomew by the Exchange (P69/BAT1); St Olave Jewry; St Christopher le Stocks; St Martin Pomeroy; St Stephen Coleman St (P69/STE1); St Mildred Poultry (P69/MIL2) and St Mary Colechurch (P69/MRY8).
In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of these parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to the gifts and bequests of St Olave Jewry and St Mildred Poultry have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Olave Jewry: 1509/10-1790, Ms 23737/119-25; St Mildred Poultry: 1759-80, Ms 23737/117].
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.