Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/JS2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JAMES THE APOSTLE, LAMBETH: KNATCHBULL ROAD, LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.9 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James the Apostle, Lambeth | Church of England
The site of Saint James the Apostle was donated by James Lewis Minet, who also paid for the construction. Work began in June 1869 and the consecration took place in June 1870. A consolidated chapelry was formed in 1874. The architect was George Low who designed the church in a Decorated Gothic style, using Kentish ragstone and Bath stone.
The Church was closed in 1979 and the benefice has been united with that of Saint John the Divine, Vassall Road, Kennington.
Some information from: 'Myatt's Fields, Denmark Hill and Herne Hill: Introduction and Myatt's Fields area', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 141-145.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint James the Apostle, Knatchbull Road, Lambeth, including registers of baptisms, marriages and church services; papers relating to parish income and parish boundaries; parish magazines; Vestry and Parochial Church Council meetings; financial records; papers relating to church buildings; records of parish charities; newspaper cuttings, and photographs.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St. James the Apostle, Knatchbull Road, Lambeth, deposited in the Greater London Record Office, by the incumbent 27 June 1979.
For Saint John the Divine, Vassall Road, see P85/JNA1.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.