Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/STE2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT STEPHEN WALBROOK: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.93 linear metres (126 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Stephen Walbrook, City of London | Church of England
The church of Saint Stephen Walbrook was founded on the west bank of the Walbrook (a stream flowing from Finsbury through the City and into the Thames) sometime before 1096, and rebuilt on the east bank in 1429-39. The church was burned down in the Great Fire of London in 1666, but rebuilt by Christopher Wren in 1672-79. It was badly damaged through bombing in 1940.
The church of Saint Benet Sherehog was built sometime before 1111 in the centre of the wool district, a shere hog being the name for a castrated ram. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. As a result of this, in 1670 the Parish of Saint Stephen Walbrook was united with Saint Benet Sherehog.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Stephen Walbrook, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; preachers' books; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; administrative papers; poor rate assessments and tithe rate assessments.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections representing sub-groups each was a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records have been deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1891. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
P69/BEN4: St Benet Sherehog.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.