Reference code(s): GB 0074 P97/MGT
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARGARET, PLUMSTEAD: VICARAGE ROAD, GREENWICH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.89 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Margaret, Plumstead | Church of England
Until the mid 19th century Saint Nicholas (P97/NIC) was the parish church of Plumstead. On 25 April 1859 the newly built Saint Margaret's was consecrated, and from around May 1859 to around November 1860 baptisms and marriages appear to have taken place in both churches. In 1864 Saint Nicholas became a District Church, and Saint Margaret the parish church of Plumstead. In 1966 decay of the church fabric caused Saint Margaret's to be closed and demolished; services were moved to Saint Mark's (P97/MRK). The two parishes were merged to form the parish of Saint Mark and Saint Margaret, Plumstead.
The records of Saint Nicholas were transferred to Saint Margaret's c.1859-1860, as from "old" to "new" parish churches elsewhere. The Vicar of Saint Margaret Plumstead, though having no burial ground at Saint Margaret's, became responsible for the churchyard by Saint Nicholas, and the burial registers of this ground were kept by him. Though some of the entries c.1897-1928 relate to burials in family graves at Saint Nicholas, it is not certain that all relate to burials there; they may possibly refer to other Plumstead cemeteries. Some may perhaps record funeral services held at Saint Margaret's.
It is advisable therefore to consult the records of Saint Nicholas and of Saint Margaret in conjunction with each other.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Margaret, Vicarage Road, Plumstead, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; altered apportionments of tithe rent charges; certificates of redemption of tithe rent charges; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; and papers relating to parish charities.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1954, 1966 and 1977.
For more information see: http://www.southwark.anglican.org/parishes/.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.