Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/STE1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT STEPHEN, CLAPHAM PARK: WEIR ROAD, LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.35 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Stephen, Clapham Park | Church of England
The parish of Saint Stephen was created from All Saints, Clapham Park, Saint James, Park Hill, Clapham Park and Saint Mary, Balham High Road. Sir James Knowles, architect, would not allow his daughter to marry Reverend George Eastman and so she decided to build him a church to her father's design and to leave him her fortune. The church in the Gothic style was consecrated 22 June 1867. In circa 1881 a number of Evangelists left the congregation of Saint Mary's, Balham as they objected to the High Church innovation there. They founded the iron church, Saint Paul, Balham. On Reverend Eastman's retirement they purchased Saint Stephen's and the congregation moved there. The church suffered slight war damage and was restored and redecorated in 1954.
By 1970 the church was in a poor state of repair and so was demolished when the area was redeveloped. A modern church was built on approximately the same site in 1974.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Stephen, Weir Road, Clapham Park, including registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; registers of church services; Parochial Church Council minutes; financial accounts; parish magazines; and a parish history.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St Stephen's Church, Weir Road, Clapham Park, Wandsworth, deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 22 April 1970.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.