Reference code(s): GB 0074 P91/SAV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT SAVIOUR, HOXTON: HYDE ROAD, HACKNEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.53 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Saviour, Hoxton | Church of England
Saint Saviour's opened in a temporary Church Room in 1861, under the title of the "Northport Street Mission". This was followed by a temporary iron church built after the creation of Saint Saviour's parish on 1 November 1862, and which opened in February 1863. Work began on a permanent church in 1865 and it was consecrated on 7 May 1866. The church was associated with the Catholic Revival within the Church of England, despite opposition from the Bishop of London, which resulted in an episcopal ban on the parish following a Corpus Christi procession in August 1917. Saint Saviour's became the focus for the movement for reunion with Rome known as the Confraternity of Unity, when its secretariat was established at Saint Saviour's in 1929.
Saint Saviour's was badly damaged during the Second World War and never reopened. In 1953 the parish was united with Saint Anne and Saint Andrew, Hoxton.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Saviour, Hyde Road, Hoxton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, and confirmations; registers of church services and preachers; orders of service; photographs; financial records; parish magazines and church notices.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the vicar, June 1981 and January 1986.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.