Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/ALL2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ALL SAINTS, SAINT MARYLEBONE: MARGARET STREET, WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Marylebone | Church of England
All Saints church originated in Margaret Chapel, which was constructed in around 1760. In 1839 the chapel became the centre of the High Church Tractarian Movement, a group which advocated Anglo-Catholicism. It was decided to rebuild the chapel in a Gothic style to reflect the ideals of the movement, and architect William Butterfield was hired to design a new church. The building was constructed between 1850 and 1859 and was praised by critics including Ruskin. A vicarage and choir school were included on the site.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of All Saints, Margaret Street, St Marylebone; comprising registers of baptisms, registers of marriages; registers of banns; and registers of confirmations.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 10 May 1972.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.