Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/SEP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT SEPULCHRE, HOLBORN: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 63.5 linear metres (1991 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Sepulchre, Holborn Viaduct, City of London | Church of England
The church of Saint Sepulchre, Holborn Viaduct, was first mentioned in 1137. It was damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt in 1670-71. However the tower and outer wall survived and date from around 1450. The church is now the National Musicians' Church. The church is also known as Saint Sepulchre without Newgate as it stood just outside the Newgate walls. The parish was partly within the City of London and partly within the former county of Middlesex.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Sepulchre, Holborn Viaduct, City of London, including registers of baptisms, burials, marriages and banns; Vestry minutes; papers of the Vestry Clerks; papers of the Churchwardens; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; papers relating to parish poor relief including papers of the Overseers and the workhouse; tithe rate assessment books and poor rate assessment books.
The main archive dates from the 17th century (with parish registers from 1662), but the records also include deeds from 1537. The records of the area of the parish which lay within the City of London are distinct from those of the area which lay within the county of Middlesex. The records of the City of London area of the parish appear first in the catalogue.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates, E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the parish of St Sepulchre Holborn have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of the Guildhall Library at various dates since 1922. The most recent deposit was in 2007. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also various records relating to the parish amongst the papers of George Hammond, CLC/233. In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parish of St Sepulchre Holborn was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1566-1821, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/134-40].
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.