Reference code(s): GB 0074 P94/MRY
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, STOKE NEWINGTON:STOKE NEWINGTON CHURCH STREET, HACKNEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.79 linear metres (375 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Stoke Newington | Church of England
The origins of the parish of Stoke Newington are uncertain. Although the manor of 'Neutone' is mentioned in Domesday Book as belonging to the canons of Saint Paul's, it is not known whether there was a church there at that time. The parish now has two churches, the older of which is the result of the rebuilding in 1563 of an earlier church of unknown date; it now serves as a chapel of ease, having been superseded with the consecration in 1858 of a new parish church, built to accommodate an expanding congregation.
The manor of Stoke Newington, including the glebe and the patronage of the rectory, was a prebend of Saint Paul's Cathedral in the gift of the Bishop of London. Until the mid-sixteenth century, the lordship of the manor was held directly by the prebendary; thereafter, it was held by laymen as lessees of the prebendary. Legislation early in the nineteenth century allowed the granting of building leases and sub-leases, and the enfranchisement of copyhold property. Subsequently, as a result of an act of 1840 (3 &4 Vict. cap.113), the interest in the prebendal manor became vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the patronage of the rectory passed from the prebendary to the Bishop of London. At about this time, the Bishop also became ordinary of the parish, as the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Saint Paul's over it came to an end.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Stoke Newington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, confirmations, banns and church services; preachers' books; legal documents relating to church property; financial records and papers relating to parish expenditure; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to parochial schools; parish magazines and notices.
Also papers of the parish constable; records of poor relief distributed; papers of the Overseers of the Poor; papers of the Surveyors of Highways.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in June 1961, and June and November 1983.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.