Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/STE1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT STEPHEN, CANONBURY ROAD: CANONBURY ROAD, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.79 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Stephen, Canonbury Road, Islington | Church of England
The church of Saint Stephen was constructed between 1837 and 1839, to designs by W. and H. W. Inwood and E. N. Clifton. A parish was assigned in 1839. The building suffered bomb damage in 1940, but was reconstructed by 1957. The parish was united with Saint Bartholomew's in 1939 and with Saint Matthew's in 1953.
From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Stephen, Canonbury Road, Islington, including registers of baptisms, and marriages; registers of church services; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minute books; papers relating to church finances; and papers relating to parish schools.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 6 March 1975.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.