Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/GEO
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT GEORGE, TUFNELL PARK: CRAYFORD ROAD, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.91 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St George, Tufnell Park | Church of England
The church of Saint George was founded by Henry Hampton, the minister at Saint Luke's temporary church, who resigned and with other seceders built a new temporary church. The church was not licenced for Anglican worship so the congregation, some 900 strong, formed the Free Church of England. Hampton left in 1863 and the replacement vicar was officially recognised, whereupon a parish was assigned.
The first church building was built of wood. This was replaced in 1866 by a church of Kentish ragstone, designed by George Truefitt. The church was sold in 1970. Services moved to the parish hall until a new church was consecrated in 1975, designed by Clive Alexander.
From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of St George, Tufnell Park, Islington, including registers of baptisms and registers of marriages. Includes baptisms at Holloway Prison.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in July 1967.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.