Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ALH7
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ALL HALLOWS THE GREAT: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.99 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Hallows the Great, City of London | Church of England
The church of All Hallows the Great is first mentioned in 1235. It was also known as All Hallows at the Hay, All Hallows in La Corderie, All Hallows in the Ropery and All Hallows the More. It was rebuilt in 1627-1629, but burnt in the Great Fire. Wren designed the new church which was built 1677-1683. The tower and the north aisle were demolished in 1876 to accommodate the widening of Queen Victoria Street. The tower and vestry were rebuilt on the south side, and these were the only parts that remained after its demolition in 1893, when the parish was united to Saint Michael Paternoster Royal (P69/MIC5). The sale of the site provided money for the construction of All Hallows, Gospel Oak. The tower and vestry were bombed in 1939, and in 1969 Mondial House was built on the site of the churchyard.
The church of All Hallows the Less (P69/ALH8), first mentioned in 1216, stood over the gateway to a large house. It was burnt in the Great Fire, and the parish was united to All Hallows the Great in 1670.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of All Hallows the Great, Upper Thames Street, City of London, including vestry minutes from 1574 and rate assessments from 1586. Other records include registers of baptisms, burials, banns and marriages; Churchwarden's papers; papers relating to charities; and Overseers' receipts and payments relating to the poor rate.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the united parishes of Saint Michael Paternoster Royal have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 1991. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United under St Michael Paternoster Royal (P69/MIC5) with St. Martin Vintry (P69/MTN5), All Hallows the Less (P69/ALH8). In 1891, the administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of St Michael Paternoster with St Martin Vintry was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests (1648-1854) have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/75-76].
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.