Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, PUTNEY: HIGH STREET, WANDSWORTH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 13 linear metres (552 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Putney | Church of England
The first mention of a church at Putney is in 1292. Saint Mary's served the ancient parish of Putney, and was the only church in the parish until 1845, when a separate parish was created at Roehampton. The parish was a peculiar of the See of Canterbury until 1846 when it was transferred to the See of London. In 1877 it was transferred again, to the See of Rochester, before a final transfer to the Diocese of Southwark in 1905. In 1874 a second church was constructed in the parish, All Saints on Putney Common (P95/ALL3). The parish also included the church of Saint John the Evangelist (P95/JNE3).
The medieval church tower survives, as does some early arcading and a chapel. Much of the church was rebuilt in 1836. In 1973 an arson attack gutted the church. Rebuilding was completed in 1982.
For more information see: http://www.southwark.anglican.org/parishes/214p1.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, High Street, Putney, including registers of baptisms, marriage, burials and banns; registers of church services; curates' licences; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; papers of parish charities, church societies and the parish school; certificates of redemption of tithe rent charges; Parochial Church Council and other committee minutes; parish magazines; photographs; administrative papers; and papers relating to the restoration of the church and hall.
Also church rate books; church building rate books; Overseers of the Poor accounts and vouchers; Vestry Clerk's correspondence relating to poor relief.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the former London County Record Office, 2 November 1955. Further records deposited 5 November 1962, 7 July 1974, 11 October 1977, 7 June 1978, 21 May 1979, 30 June 1980 and 8 April 1981.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.