Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/AND1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ANDREW BY THE WARDROBE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.21 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew by the Wardrobe, City of London | Church of England
The church of Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe is situated on Queen Victoria Street. It is first mentioned in records in 1244 and was also known as Saint Andre de Castello. The current name was first used from 1361 and refers to the nearby King's Wardrobe where ceremonial robes were stored. The church building was repaired in 1627 only to be destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was rebuilt by Wren in 1685-1695. The laying out of Queen Victoria Street in 1871 destroyed much of the churchyard. The church was destroyed by incendiary bombs during the Second World War but was rebuilt in 1959-1961.
The churches of Saint Ann Blackfriars, Saint Peter Paul's Wharf, Saint Benet Paul's Wharf, Saint Mary Mounthaw, Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey and Saint Nicholas Olave were all destroyed in the Great Fire. Saint Ann Blackfriars was not rebuilt and the parish was united to Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe in 1670. Similarly, Saint Peter Paul's Wharf was united to Saint Benet Paul's Wharf Wharf in 1670, and Saint Nicholas Olave was united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1670. Saint Mary Mounthaw was united to Saint Mary Somerset in 1670 and the parishes were united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1866. Saint Benet Paul's Wharf was rebuilt by Wren, 1677-83 and the parish united to Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1879, when the church became the London church of the Welsh Episcopalians. Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey was rebuilt by Wren in 1677, gutted in 1941 and restored in 1962. The parish was united to Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe in 1954.
Some information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe, Queen Victoria Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; preachers' books and service registers; Vestry minute books and notice books; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; Overseers' papers; rate assessment books, including poor rates and tithe rates.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of these parishes were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates from 1902. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United with Saint Mary Mounthaw, see reference P69/MRY11 and Saint Mary Somerset, see reference P69/MRY12, and St Benet Paul's Wharf, see reference P69/BEN3.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.