Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/CUT
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT CUTHBERT, KENSINGTON: PHILBEACH GARDENS, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Cuthbert, Kensington | Church of England
This church served the expanding population of west Kensington, although the Bishop of London was against this plan because there were 'not enough poor people' in the area. The parish was taken from that of Saint Philip's on Earl's Court Road, but its founder and traditions were from Saint Matthias, Warwick Road. Originally housed in an iron shed known as the 'dustbin', which opened in 1883, it developed into the grandest church in the area.
The architect was Hugh Gough who designed it as an austere, lofty structure of Transitional Style and Cisterician type with its proportions modelled on Tintern Abbey, but progress was piecemeal. The congregation was encouraged to contribute funds and also time and skills to decorate the somewhat spartan interior. Led by skilled craftsmen their efforts produced great results in the Arts & Crafts spirit and the church became the grandest and most flourishing High Church foundation in Kensington. In 1958 the parish of Saint Matthias was amalgamated with that of Saint Cuthbert's.
The church hall (built 1896) included a meeting hall, library, gymnasium, and living accommodation for curates. Nowadays it is used by the Saint Mungo community organisation and similar groups and is an active drop-in centre for the homeless and vulnerable.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Cuthbert, Kensington, including registers of marriages; registers of church services; church notices; Vestry minutes; administrative and financial documents; records of church buildings and properties, including plans, elevation and sections.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited on the 17th and 18th April 1963.
The Register of Baptisms and the Register of Confirmations, both dating from the opening of the church and still in use, are kept in a safe in the Vestry and are in good condition.
See Survey of London, Volume XLII, (1986), LMA Library reference 92.1 GLC; and The Kensington Book, (Starren, Carolyn, 2006), LMA Library reference 92.1 STA.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.