Reference code(s): GB 0074 P90/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, SOMERS TOWN: EVERSHOLT STREET, CAMDEN
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.81 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Somers Town | Church of England
Saint Mary the Virgin was built between 1822-1826 by the Inwoods, architects of the nearby Saint Pancras Parish Church. It was at first known as the Somers Town Chapel. Charles Dickens worshipped here as a boy. The chapel was nicknamed first 'Mr Judkin's Chapel' after the Rev T J Judkin, then 'the Cabbies' Church' because of the aid offered to cabmen using the nearby Euston Station.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers of the church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, Somers Town, including registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; registers of church services; minutes of the Parochial Church Council; papers of the St Pancras Housing Society; and parish magazines.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1961.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.