Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ALP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ALPHAGE, LONDON WALL: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.34 linear metres (542 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Alphage, London Wall, City of London | Church of England
The earliest church building in the parish of Saint Alphage London Wall was attached to the old Roman city walls. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the nearby Augustinian priory was adapted for use as a parish church. This building was damaged by the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt in 1777. The parish of Saint Alphage London Wall was united to the parish of Saint Mary Aldermanbury (P69/MRY2) in 1917. The church of Saint Alphage London Wall was demolished in 1923, with the bells going to Saint Peter Acton. In 1954, the united parishes of Saint Alphage London Wall and Saint Mary Aldermanbury were united to the parish of Saint Giles Cripplegate.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Alphage, London Wall. The earliest records are churchwardens' accounts, which date from 1527. There are parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns and burials) from 1613. Vestry minutes commence in 1569. Other records, including rate assessments and papers relating to tithes, date chiefly from the 18th century.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
48 hours notice required for access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of the parishes of St. Mary Aldermanbury and St. Alphage London Wall have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1905. The most recent deposits for each parish were in 1987. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For records created since 1954, see the parish of St. Giles Cripplegate which this parish was united to in that year (P69/GIS) together with St. Mary Aldermanbury (P69/MRY2).
In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of St. Alphage London Wall and St. Mary Aldermanbury were transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1308-1791 (St. Mary Aldermanbury) and 1638-1775 (St. Alphage London Wall), have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation. A schedule of deeds is available on the open shelves in the Reading Room. Please note that 24 hours' notice is required for access to records of the City Parochial Foundation.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.