Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ETH
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ETHELBURGA BISHOPSGATE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.82 linear metres (126 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Ethelburga, Bishopsgate, City of London | Church of England
Saint Ethelburga's was probably first built in the early 13th century, and dedicated to a 7th century Abbess of Barking. It was also known as Saint Ethelburga the Virgin within Bishopsgate. It was one the of few churches to survive the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was rebuilt in the 15th century, and suffered many subsequent restorations. From the 16th century until 1933 it was flanked by shops directly either side of its porch.
Saint Ethelburga became a guild church in 1954. Following its destruction by a terrorist bomb in Bishopsgate in 1993, the City Commission Report to the Bishop of London (Templeman Report) recommended that it should not be rebuilt as a church.
Some information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Parish of Saint Ethelburga, Bishopsgate, City of London. The records include registers of baptisms, banns, marriages, burials and church services, Churchwardens' financial accounts, rate assessments, Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes, plans and photographs, the parish magazine, title deeds and miscellaneous administrative papers.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections representing sub-groups each with an archival classification code as follows: P69/ETH/A Parish registers; P69/ETH/B Vestry and parish officers; P69/ETH/C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; P69/ETH/D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of St Ethelburga Bishopsgate were largely deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section in 1947 and 1991. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.