Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/JN2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT JOHN OF WAPPING: GREEN BANK, STEPNEY, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.02 linear metres (combined extent of LMA and former Guildhall collections).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John of Wapping, Stepney | Church of England
The church of Saint John of Wapping was constructed in 1617 as a chapel of ease to Saint Mary, Whitechapel (P93/MRY1). It was assigned a separate parish in 1694. The building was replaced in 1756-60 on a site opposite the old church. Most of the building was destroyed during the Second World War; however, the tower survived and was restored. The parish was united with Saint Peter, London Docks (P93/PET2).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint John of Wapping, Green Bank, Stepney, inclduing registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; and records relating to local taxation including rate assessment books.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records acquired by the London County Record Office, County Hall, in July 1963 and March 1987.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.