Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/MTW1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MATTHEW, STEPNEY: PELL STREET, TOWER HAMLETS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.18 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthew, Stepney | Church of England
Saint Matthew's originated in a chapel, the Mulberry Gardens Chapel, founded in 1790 by the Countess of Huntingdon's Commission. In 1847 it was purchased by the London Diocesan Church Building Society and opened as a mission chapel for the parish of Saint George in the East (P93/GEO). A parish was assigned in 1860; however, the parish was reunited with Saint George in the East in 1891. The church building was then used as a parish hall.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Matthew, Pell Street, Stepney, comprising registers of baptisms and marriages.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in November 1959.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.