Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MIC6
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MICHAEL QUEENHITHE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.29 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael Queenhithe, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Saint James Garlickhithe, Saint Michael Queenhithe and Holy Trinity the Less:
The churches of Holy Trinity the Less and Saint James Garlickhithe were both destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666. The church of Holy Trinity the Less was not rebuilt.
The church of Saint James Garlickhithe was rebuilt by Wren 1676-83 and a steeple was added 1714-17. During World War Two the church was damaged and restoration took place in 1954-63.
The church of Saint Michael Queenhithe, Upper Thames Street, was also burned down in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1676-77, being finally demolished in 1876 under the Union of City Benefices Act. The parish of Holy Trinity the Less was united to Saint Michael Queenhithe in 1670. The parishes of Holy Trinity the Less and Saint Michael Queenhithe were united to Saint James Garlickhithe in 1875.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Michael Queenhithe, Upper Thames Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1653; churchwardens' accounts from 1625 and vestry minutes from 1667. The bulk of the archive is 17th century or later, including papers relating to poor relief, poor rate books and tithe rate books.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates, E Parish schools.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1904. The most recent deposit in each case was in 1993. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
United with St James Garlickhithe (P69/JS2). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of St. James Garlickhithe and St. Michael Queenhithe was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1403-1861 (St. James Garlickhithe) and 1586-1778 (St. Michael Queenhithe), have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.