Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARYLEBONE: MARYLEBONE ROAD, WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 32.48 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Marylebone, Marylebone Road | Church of England
The first parish church in the area was dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist and was probably built in the 12th century, situated near the site of the present Marble Arch. However it was too remote and was moved in 1400. The new church was dedicated to Saint Mary and was known as "Saint Mary at Bourne" as the Ty bourne (stream) flowed nearby, which over time became corrupted to "St Mary le Bone". A new church was built in 1740 and another in 1813, which was renovated in 1883.
In 1817 the church was built over a large vaulted crypt. This served as the parish burial ground until 1853 when the entrance was bricked up and its use discontinued. In 1980 the coffins from the crypt were reinterred at Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey. The crypt was then completely renovated and rebuilt as a health centre. Nicki and John Braithwaite were the architects for this redevelopment. On 24th July 1987, the new crypt was opened by the Prince of Wales.
When opened, the crypt contained the following organisations: Christian Healing Centre; NHS Surgery; Headquarter Offices of the Christian Healing Organisations (Churches Council for Health and Healing; Guild of St Raphael; Order of St Luke; Institute of Religion and Medicine; Churches Council on Alcohol and Drugs); Music Therapy Centre (funded by the Speedwell Trust Sponsorship Scheme); Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Scanner Unit; Counselling and Social Work Services of the Raphael Centre and Jewish Welfare Board.
For more information please see the church website at http://www.stmarylebone.org.uk/history01.htm (accessed March 2010).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Marylebone, Marylebone Road, including registers of burials, baptisms, marriages and banns; financial accounts; minutes of the Committee of Directors and Guardians of the Poor; letter books and correspondence; papers relating to the management of Southall Schools; annual reports; papers relating to the workhouse including admissions; parish magazines; papers relating to alterations to the building, particularly the conversion of the crypt into the Saint Marylebone Healing and Counselling Centre; papers regarding properties owned by the parish and papers relating to Saint Marylebone School; service registers, parochial church council minutes, and standing committee minutes.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1953, 1999, 2005 and 2010.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.