Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/MRK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARK, KENNINGTON: KENNINGTON PARK ROAD, LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.77 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mark, Kennington | Church of England
The church of Saint Mark was constructed under the Act of 1818 for providing additional churches in populous areas, particularly in expanding parts of London such as Lambeth. The building began in 1822 and the church was consecrated in June 1824. The architect was D. R. Roper, who designed a Classical Grecian building seating over two thousand people. Restorations took place in the 1870s, in 1901 and in 1949 after Second World War bomb damage.
Information from: 'Kennington: Common land', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 31-36.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mark, Kennington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; registers of church services; Parochial Church Council minutes and order of service for burial of eight members of the London Fire Brigade.
There is no surviving register of baptisms for 1855-1864. For baptisms May 1905 - June 1940 see P85/MRK/047-052. For marriages Mar 1901 - Dec 1951 see P85/MRK/053-061.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
Much of the material in this series is available only on self - service microfilm.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1955.
London Metropolitan Archives does not hold any marriage registers for Saint Mark, Kennington Park Road, Lambeth for the years 1825-1837, nor any burial registers for the period 1825-1846. However, it is possible to use the Bishops' Transcripts from the Diocese of Winchester (DW/T) in the absence of original registers. Regrettably, the transcript of baptisms, marriages and burials for 1825 is unfit for consultation, and has not been microfilmed. All other Bishop's Transcripts for this parish are on film:
Baptisms/Marriages/Burials 1826-1832 please use microfilm X014/064
Baptisms/Marriages/Burials 1832-1833 please use microfilm X014/065A
Baptisms/Marriages/Burials 1834-1839 please use microfilm X014/065B.
There is an index/summary of marriages for May 1825 to June 1837 available on microfilm X102/056. All microfilms are available on open access in the Reference Room.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.