Reference code(s): GB 0074 P87/MRY
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, PADDINGTON GREEN:WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.24 linear metres (181 documents).
Name of creator(s): Records of the parish of St Mary, Paddington Green | Church of England
The first parish church of Paddington stood on Paddington Green and was probably dedicated to Saint Katherine. This was demolished in 1678 and replaced by a church dedicated to Saint James. This in turn was demolished and replaced by Saint Mary's, which was constructed between 1788 and 1791. It became the parish church. In 1845 it was superseded by the newly constructed and larger church of Saint James, Sussex Gardens (P87/JS). Most of the older parish records were transferred in 1845 from Saint Mary's to Saint James.
Saint Mary's became a district chapelry. Actress Sarah Siddons (born 1755) was buried here in June 1831. Other notable graves are those of B R Haydon, the painter of gigantic historical canvases who committed suicide (1846), artist William Collins RA (1847), Sarah Disraeli, the statesman's favourite sister; and Harriet, the unhappy first wife of poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, who drowned herself in the Serpentine after he had deserted her (1816).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Paddington Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; banns books; graves books; papers relating to parish finances including fees and bequests; church newsletters; orders of service.
Records relating to the workhouse including admissions register; Overseers of the Poor financial accounts; and other papers relating to poor relief.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records P87/MRY/1-30 transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians in the London County Record Office, 14 September 1961. Records P87/MRY/31-171 deposited on the 8 Dec 1965. Parish records P87/MRY/172-181 transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians.
For further information see 'Paddington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 252-259.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.