Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MGT4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARGARET PATTENS: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.12 linear metres (141 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Margaret Pattens, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Saint Margaret Pattens and Saint Gabriel Fenchurch:
The first recorded mention of Saint Margaret Pattens is in 1216. The church, which had been rebuilt in 1530 and repaired in 1614-32, was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The parish was united with the parish of Saint Gabriel Fenchurch in 1670 and the church was reconstructed by Wren in 1684-1697. The name derives from patten (wooden overshoes) making workshops situated near the church.
Saint Gabriel Fenchurch was originally known as Saint Mary Fenchurch (in 1315), but its name had changed by the end of the 16th century. It was demolished in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. A plaque marks the site, on 35 Fenchurch Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
The records of Saint Margaret Pattens, Rood Lane, City of London, include inventories of 1470 and 1511, but the main archive dates from the 16th century. The records include registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; preachers' books; church services registers; scrapbooks; Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts and other papers; administrative papers; poor rate books and leases and other documents relating to parish property.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English and Latin.
System of arrangement:
To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
Not available for general access; please use microfilm.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records have been deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1922. The most recent deposit was in 1996. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Deeds relating to the gifts and bequests of St Margaret Pattens, 1526-1767, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/71-72].
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.