Reference code(s): GB 0074 P92/MRY
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, NEWINGTON: KENNINGTON PARK ROAD, SOUTHWARK
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 15.39 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Newington | Church of England
Saint Mary's is the ancient parish church of Newington. The present church was constructed in 1958, replacing a building of 1876 which was badly damaged during the Second World War. Only the tower survives and was incorporated into the new church. The 1876 church was constructed to replace an earlier building, of 1721. From 1826 onwards other parishes were established out of the parish of Saint Mary, including Holy Trinity (P92/TRI), Saint John, Walworth (P92/JN), and Saint Matthew, Newington (P92/MTW). A chapel of ease, Saint Gabriel's, was established in 1874.
Newington Governors and Guardians of the Poor were established by Local Act of Parliament of 1814 which enabled them to assess and collect the poor rate and to build the workhouse and collect other rates in the parish (54 Geo III c.cxiii). They continued to collect the poor rate and to administer poor relief after the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. A Board of Guardians was established in 1836 (see P92/MRY/315) to carry out the registration functions of the Poor Law district, and to act as a workhouse committee. However it would seem that this eventually ceased to function and its activities were taken over by the Governors and Guardians at their weekly meetings. After the Metropolitan Poor Act of 1867, a Board of Guardians was again established and this took over the administration of the workhouse and poor relief in the parish. In 1869 it became part of St Saviour's Union (see records of Southwark Board of Guardians, SOBG). The Governors and Guardians continued to collect rates until their abolition in 1901 on the formation of the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Kennington Park Road, Newington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; Churchwardens' records; minutes of the Vestry, the Parochial Church Council and the Church Building Committee; registers of preachers; financial records; records relating to the construction of the new church including plans; papers relating to St Mary Newington National Schools; parish magazines.
Also minutes of the Governors and Guardians of the Poor; removal orders; records of the workhouse including admission and discharge records; registers of children at the South Metropolitan District Schools; financial accounts relating to poor relief.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by the Rector in 1953, 1976 and 1990. Other records were transferred from the collection of Southwark Board of Guardians, held in the Greater London Record Office, August 1988.
See also Chester, Solicitors (reference:B/CHE).
See the Diocese of Southwark website http://www.southwark.anglican.org/parishes/ for more information (accessed May 2010).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.