Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/CTC2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH, NORTH BRIXTON: BRIXTON ROAD, LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.44 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton | Church of England
Originally built in 1820 as a Congregationalist chapel called Holland Chapel, the building which was to become Christ Church, North Brixton was taken over as a proprietary chapel by the Reverend F. Crossman. It became a Chapel of Ease to Saint Mark's Church, Kennington and when in 1855 Canon McConnell Hussey became its minister, he converted the leasehold land to freehold. He also arranged to have the district formed into a separate parish and to have the church consecrated, reseated and enlarged by the addition of an apse at his own expense. The church was consecrated on 9 October 1855. In 1891 the Reverend W. R. Mowll was appointed. He was responsible for the building of a parish hall and the rebuilding of the old church which, delapidated beyond repair, was closed in 1899 and demolished. The new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on 5 December 1902.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Christ Church, North Brixton, including registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; registers of preachers; papers relating to the church building including faculties and photographs; financial accounts; administrative papers including minute books; papers relating to parish schools and church societies.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Parish records of Christ Church, Brixton Road, North Brixton deposited in the Greater London Record Office, 1 March 1982.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.