Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/TMS1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT THOMAS APOSTLE: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.36 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Thomas Apostle, City of London | Church of England
History of the united parishes of Saint Mary Aldermary, Saint Thomas Apostle, Saint Antholin Budge Row and Saint John the Baptist Walbrook:
The church of Saint Thomas the Apostle was situated in Queen Street. It is first mentioned in records in 1170, and was rebuilt in 1371. The building was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was not rebuilt. The parish was united with Saint Mary Aldermanbury (P69/MRY2) in 1670. The burial ground was partially cleared in 1851 for the widening of Queen Street.
The parish of Saint Mary Aldermary is 11th century in origin. The parish church was rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 and, in 1670, the parish was united with Saint Thomas Apostle. The parish church of Saint Antholin Budge Row was also rebuilt after the Great Fire and, in 1670, the parish was united with Saint John the Baptist Walbrook. Finally, the four parishes were united with each other in 1873 and the church of Saint Antholin was demolished the following year.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the parish of Saint Thomas Apostle, Queen Street, City of London, including muniments of title from 1536; parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials and banns) from 1558; Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; poor rate assessments and property valuations.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1893. The most recent deposits for each parish are as follows: St Mary Aldermary, 1954; St Thomas Apostle, 1997; St Antholin Budge Row, 1953; and St John the Baptist Walbrook, 1948. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
P69/MRY3: St Mary Aldermary. In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of three of the four parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1583-1854 (St Mary Aldermary), 1667-1751 (St John the Baptist Walbrook) and 1694-1796 (St Thomas Apostle), have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.