Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MRY9
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY MAGDALEN, MILK STREET: CITY OF LONDON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.36 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, City of London | Church of England
This introductory note relates to the united parishes of Saint Lawrence Jewry, Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street and Saint Michael Bassishaw:
The parish of Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street was united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry in 1670 after it had been destroyed in the Great Fire. In 1897 the foundations of Saint Michael Bassishaw were severely damaged when the crypt was cleared of human remains; the church was demolished and the parish united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry the same year. Saint Lawrence Jewry now functions as a guild church for the Corporation of London.
Scope and content/abstract:
The records of Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street, City of London, include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) from 1558; vestry minutes from 1561; churchwardens' accounts from 1518; Overseers' books of receipts and payments and poor rate assessments.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English and Latin.
System of arrangement:
To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections representing subgroups each with an initial letter code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of the three churches have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1920s. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of the united parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Lawrence Jewry, 1629-1824: Ms 23737/59-64; St Mary Magdalen Milk Street, 1388: Ms 23737/79; St Michael Bassishaw, 1533-1798: Ms 23737/89-96].
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: April to June 2010.