Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/119
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CITY PAROCHIAL FOUNDATION
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 290 production units.
Name of creator(s): City Parochial Foundation
People's Palace Theatre | Mile End Road, London
London Polytechnic Council
Chelsea Physic Garden
The City Parochial Foundation was established in 1891 to administer the charitable endowments of 107 of the parishes of the City of London (five large parishes continued to perform their own charitable works). The Foundation inherited a number of valuable estates inside, and outside, the City Of London, which enabled it to acquire funds for a number of projects, as empowered by the 1883 'City of London Parochial Charities Act'.
The work of putting the Act into effect fell to the Charity Commission. It devised a Central Scheme, approved by 1891, which amalgamated the funds of charities governed by the Act into the Central Fund (for non-ecclesiastical charities) and the City Church Fund (for the remainder). Together these two funds constituted the City Parochial Foundation. The Foundation was governed by trustees known collectively as the Central Governing Body, supported by a number of committees.
The London Polytechnic Council was established in 1893 to promote uniformity of administration, inspection and examinations in polytechnics. It comprised representatives of the Technical Education Board, the Central Governing Body and City and Guilds of London Institute.
The Foundation assumed responsibility for the Chelsea Physic Garden in 1898 after the Society of Apothecaries withdrew its support.
In 1953 the governors of the People's Palace Theatre reported that the charity had failed, and the Foundation was asked to guide it through liquidation.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the City Parochial Foundation comprise minutes of the Central Governing Body and its committees, 1891-1959 (Mss 8965-70); financial records, 1894-1952 (Mss 8972-81, 10897-8, 10902); register of applications for pensions, 1916-46 (Ms 10901); rentals, land valuation papers, insurance registers, 1898-1948 (Mss 10892-6) and deeds, 1308-1955 (Mss 11018-9, 23737-737A).
Also deposited with the records of the Foundation were a few records relating to the London Polytechnic Council. Records comprise minutes 1894-1904 (Ms 8971). Chelsea Physic Garden records comprise minutes 1899-1936 and cash books 1903-53 (Mss 10899-900). People's Palace Theatre records comprise a cash book 1950-53 (Ms 10903).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of the City Parochial Foundation were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in ca.1925, 1954 and 1962 and catalogued at various dates by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
The various works of the Foundation and its changing role are described by V. Belcher in The City Parochial Foundation 1891-1991, which also lists the trustees of the Foundation (1891-1990) and organisations known to have received a grant from it (1910-1990).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.