Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/UNC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: UNION CLUB
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.74 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Union Club | 1799-1964
The Union Club was founded in 1799-1800, in honour of the Acts of Union 1801 which united the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland. The first club-house was Cumberland House on Pall Mall. Early members included the Duke of Bedford, the Duke of Norfolk, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Charles James Fox and Sir Francis Burdett. The club moved several times, in 1824 to a custom built club-house on Trafalgar Square designed by Robert Smirke (now Canada House). It moved again in 1924-1925 to 10 and 11 Carlton House Terrace, and from there to 86 Saint James' Street in 1951. The club closed in 1964 and members were admitted to the United Service Club.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Union Club including administrative records such as minutes, reports, and correspondence; financial records; membership records and a history of the Club.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Minute books A/UNC/001-052;
Registers of candidates A/UNC/054-071;
Rules and lists of members A/UNC/072-157;
Subscription book A/UNC/158;
Pension Fund prospectus A/UNC/160;
Visitors' books A/UNC/163-164;
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to closure periods.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1965 and 1966.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.