Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/021
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ALDERSGATE WARD PAST OFFICERS' CLUB
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2 production units
Name of creator(s): Aldersgate Ward Past Officers' Club
Aldersgate Ward Past Officers' Club was founded in 1860. It lapsed but was was revived in 1909 as Aldersgate Ward Club. In 1972 it instigated an Annual Luncheon for the Lord Mayor. Lady members were first accepted in 1975.
The City of London was divided into wards for the purpose of government as early as Norman times. The wards had responsibility to keep the peace, supervise trade and oversee sanitation, and each ward has the right to elect an Alderman and Commoners to sit in the Court of Common Council. The Aldersgate ward is bounded by Aldersgate Street, Beech Street, Noble Street, Angel Street, King Edward Street and Montague Street, and includes the Barbican Estate.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Aldersgate Ward Past Officers' Club, comprising: minute book, 1902 and photograph album, 1888. They were catalogued in 1952 and 1979 respectively.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Two items catalogued as CLC/021/MS06996 and CLC/021/MS18740.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Ms 06996 was donated to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1952. Ms 18740 was deposited by Aldersgate Ward Club in 1979. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See CLC/020 for the Aldersgate Ward Club. For the records of the Aldersgate Ward see CLC/W/FA.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.