Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/ATG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ARCHBISHOP TENISON'S SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Girls
In 1706 Archbishop Tenison founded a school in Back Lane, later Lambeth High Street, for 12 girls - subsequently more. In 1787 the inhabitants of Lambeth subscribed for a new Girls' School, but until premises were ready, 30 girls were maintained by the subscribers at Tenison's School. After 1792 the Lambeth Subscription Girls' School functioned separately, but were linked with Tenison's School again in 1817, when Tenison's Trustees rebuilt "for the joint purposes of each Institution". In 1824 Tenison's Trustees, with "improved funds" offered to support the "Subscription" girls as well; the offer was accepted and the assets of the Subscription Girls' School used for new schools in the Waterloo and Norwood districts.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Girls including deeds of title; leases; financial accounts; vouchers; plans; reports and returns on school by and to authorities e.g. Board of Education; Headmistress's reports to Managers; logbooks; reports; Headmistress's correspondence.
Also papers of Lambeth Subscription Girls' School including deeds of title; minutes; financial accounts and voucher.
Papers of the Lambeth Head Teachers' Conferences including minutes, financial accounts and correspondence.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the London County Record Office, on 24 March 1961, 26 June 1961 and 15 June 1964.
For further records relating to Archbishop Tenison's Girls School, see A/LPS/1-18.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.