Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/BGR
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BADGERS ALMSHOUSES, SHOREDITCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Badger's Almshouses | Shoreditch
Badger's Almhouses which were founded under the terms of Allen Badger's will 7 February 1674/5 and erected in 1698, occupied a site in Hoxton Street adjoining Weavers' Almshouses. Although intended for men they appear to have been solely used by women.
Towards the end of the nineteenth century the buildings had fallen into such decay that they were condemned and the question of rebuilding them at the rear of Fullers' Almshouses in Wood Green was considered. The Charity Commissioners, however, advised the Trustees to discontinue the almshouses altogether and use the income for the benefit of other parochial almshouses which had small endowments. As a result of this the site was let on a building lease in 1877 and by 1889 warehouses had been erected.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Badger's Almshouses, Shoreditch, relating to the ownership of property, including bargain and sales, feoffments, deeds, lease and releases, assignments and abstract of title.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/BGR/001-022: Property Records.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in the Greater London Record Office on the 12 March 1968.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.