Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/PLC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BETHNAL GREEN POOR LANDS TRUST [CHARITY]
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.89 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Bethnal Green Poor Lands Trust
In 1678 a group of householders in Bethnal Green formed a Trust to purchase an area of common land, known as the Green or Poor's Land, comprising 15 and a half acres; with the aim of preserving the land as an open space. In 1690 the trust deed stipulated that no new buildings could be constructed on the Green. In 1868 the Trustees sold 4 and a half acres to the new Bethnal Green Museum to form part of their gardens (now known as Museum Gardens); and in 1891 they sold the remaining 6 and a half acres to the London County Council to manage as an open space (now known as Bethnal Green Gardens).
Information from: www.towerhamlets.gov.uk(accessed August 2010).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Bethnal Green Poor Lands Trust including deeds of title; appointments of new trustees; leases and counterpart leases; minutes of the trustees; orders of the Charity Commissioners; accounts; correspondence and case papers; records of pensioners and printed copies of the 1690 foundation deed.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/PLC/01: Property Records;
A/PLC/05: Orders and regulations;
A/PLC/07: Pensioners' records;
A/PLC/08: Printed Material;
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Greater London Record Office on 5 April 1974.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.